Subject: Re: Identifying Hardware using SuperProbe
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alex van Denzel <bitbucket@adenzel.demon.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/2000 21:07:21
Riaz Janjua wrote:

> I installed NetBSD (1.4) from CD sent by Cheap Bytes on my machine. I
> believe it is 1.4.2. It also includes XFree86.3.3.3.1.
> I am tried to configure X on the machine using XF86Config, which I created
> in /etc directory using xf86config command. But it was failing. Through some
> search I found 'SuperProbe' command to check for the hardware. When I run
> this command, I get the following message
>
> SuperProbe: Cannot open /dev/vga nor /dev/ttyv0
>
> I checked in /dev and these don't exist in the directory.

The easiest way to find out which video controller you have is: "open
the box and look at the chips.."
Then find the chip in the controller list in XF86Config (or xf86config)

> I believe that I also have problem with pointer device. How to create driver
> for mouse.

For the i386 kernel, the mouse driver in GENERIC is opms, and this one
seems to be incompatible with X. So ask someone to build a kernel with
pms and wsmouse installed, and setup X with the wsmouse driver.

> Please give me step by step procedure, because I am an application developer

Sorry, I can't give you step by step instructions, I hacked it once, and
can't remember exactly how I did it...

--
Alex

Replace bitbucket with anything else.