Subject: xdm does not run with kern.securelevel = 1!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2000 14:52:44
I've compiled a new kernel with the "insecure" option commented out and
now when booting xdm does not start. The console prints out the kernel
info gets all the way to "starting local daemons" and then prints the
date and then the console is locked. xdm does not run. I can still telnet
into the system and have tried changing the securelevel variable in
/etc/rc.conf with no effect. What is the danger in running the kernel at
level 0 in multiuser mode? or am i missing some config steps somewhere.

I have read the sysctl, options and init man pages and as far as i can
tell everything should work fine with the kern.securelevel set to 1
during bootup...

help!
Thanks for your time.

pII 266, 64MB ram, 3GB HD, custom kernel

B. Bogart
Convergent Media Designer
Through scientific absolution we move further and further away from ourselves.