Subject: Re: Sleazy timing code
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/31/2000 21:53:17
Hi,

I think Wolfgang referred to the current consumed by the powersupply, not
the hardware. AFAIK a 230W powersupply will consume 150W (according to
Wolfgang, I have no data right now) and while giving just 20-30W to the
hardware (mobo, HD, etc.) the rest is transferred to heat. So in powersaving
mode there is just more energy transferred to heat than in full action. From
what I was told by manufacturers of powersupplies you needed to measure
the output of a PS to the system in order to regulate the overall consumption
of the PS. So Wolfgangs statement that the powersaving mode will not result in
a lower electricity bill seems to be right.

mike