Subject: Re: Sleazy timing code
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/31/2000 10:45:54
Jukka Marin writes:
> I get your point, but I think your estimate of 150 watts is quite high.
> The current hard drives consume only a few watts (except for the 10000
> rpm ones), something like 10 W at maximum.  The motherboard can't use
> more than a few watts (or the chips would burn :-), a floppy drive uses
> less than a watt when idle etc.  The fastest CPU's out there may use
> 10-20-30 watts (as they need 20-30 amp power supplies at the low voltages).

It all adds up.  Here is my current power usage.  X-axis is unix time,
Y-axis for the lower curve is percentage of the 620 VA ups that I am
hooked up to.  When the CRT is on I am using 50% of the capacity or
~360 watts.  When the CRT is off I'm using ~24% (* 0.24 620) 148.80
watts.

   http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/ups.ps

This is on an Intel AL440ALX w. PII-333 256 Megs SDRAM, 3 5400RPM scsi
drives, 1 adaptec scsi ctrl, 1 Dlink quad ethernet, 1 matrox g400, 1
toshiba CDROM (not normally running), 1 dds2 dat tape (not normally
running).

> (Most power is wasted in a CRT, though....)

You bet!  CRT's are power pigs.  I can tell when I'm slacking off by
looking at the power curve.  The power doubles when the CRT is on.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
DGPS signals via the Internet  http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/gps/dgps-ip.html