Subject: Re: Xfree doing strange things with Keyboard
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/2000 19:22:06
On 30.05.00, 13:12:32, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> My X sessions are doing strange things. at what seem to be random times
> the keyboard simply stops working, the key events are not sent to X
> clients. The Num-lock key also does not change the LED during this state.
> Ocationally the Enter key will shift the X screen sideways (with
> wrapping) so the windows all slide accross the screen. When this happens
> the curser map seems to also get shifts as clicking the mouse on a window
> might cause the root menu to show up, or clicking on the root might focus
> a window not beneath the curser.
>
> A server reset fixes the problem.
> I've tried using XKB and not using it with no change in symptoms.
>
> Whats going wrong?

Be sure not to have a getty running on the same virtual console that
the Xserver uses. This can lead to all kinds of weird effects.

The problem where Enter moves the X screen occurs, when wscons
switches to another virtual console, but for some reason fails to
switch back to text mode. (Pressing enter several times will often
show some lines of garbage at the bottom of the X screen.)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - We're not in canvas anymore, toto
		-- Julian Assange