Subject: Re: can't add the package gimp-1.0.4
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/2000 02:13:56
On 29.05.00, 19:26:51, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> I'm trying to add the gimp-1.0.4 package but make returns with errors
> when trying to compile. Using make in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/gimp give me
> the error:
>
> Cannot build gimp-1.0.4 without X11
> (X11 is installed and working)

You actually need to have the Xserver running to build the gimp (this
is due to the rather brain dead beheaviour of gimp, that it opens the
X display, even if started with the --no-interface option. Complain to
the authors).

I recommend building the gimp-current package anyway, it is version
1.1.18, which is already quite stable and has a _lot_ more features
than 1.0.

> when I run make within the folder /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/gimp/work/gimp-1.0.4
> I get the error:

Trying to build package sources from within the work source directory
is usually a bad idea, they might be configured to be built with some
special options and environment variables set by the package
Makefiles, which the original Makefiles don't know about. It does
usually not tell much about the failure of a pkgsrc build.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: priapic OS
		-- Perry Metzger