Subject: Re: configuring /dev/ttyE0 for vt0 after kernal build
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/2000 20:45:46
On 26.05.00, 13:54:02, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Ok, I spoke too soon. I thought I had the config right this time. Perhaps
> someone can show me what I'm doing wrong. Below is the bit of the config
> file I'm working on:

Btw, did you tell us, which version you're using? I cannot find "pms*
at vt" in either 1.4.2 nor -current config files.

Do not try to use parts of vt together with parts of wscons. Use
_only_ wscons.

Try somethins like:

# ISA console.  You can only configure one of these!
#pc0    at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # pccons generic PC console driver
#vt0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # PCVT console driver

[...]

# wscons
pckbc0  at isa?                 # pc keyboard controller
pckbd* at pckbc?               # PC keyboard
# "opms" should not be enabled together with "pms" or "pmsi"
pms*            at pckbc?               # PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
#pmsi*          at pckbc?       # PS/2 "Intelli"mouse for wsmouse
#opms*          at pckbc?               # backwards compatible PS/2 mouse
#vga0           at isa?
vga*           at pci?
#pcdisplay0     at isa?                 # CGA, MDA, EGA, HGA
wsdisplay*     at vga? console ?
#wsdisplay*     at pcdisplay? console ?
wskbd* at pckbd? console ?
wsmouse*        at pms?
#wsmouse*       at pmsi?

(Assuming the display is PCI, otherwise use the corresponding ISA
counterparts)

And also look at the other WSCONS options, especially enable
WSEMUL_V100 and the WS_COMPAT_* options.

> I'm now out of ideas. I really want both my vt's and mouse. I'm at a

What do you mean "both vt's"? Since these consoles are virtual anyway,
there can be many, not only two.

> loss. The computer is a ibm valuepoint 486 with a ps/2 bus mouse.
> I would be grateful for any help.

wscons provides virtual consoles. You do not need vt for this.

If you feel you absolutely need pcvt, and do not want to use wscons
instead, try this:

# ISA console.  You can only configure one of these!
#pc0    at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # pccons generic PC console driver
vt0    at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # PCVT console driver
[...]
# wscons
#pckbc0          at isa?                 # pc keyboard controller
#pckbd*          at pckbc?               # PC keyboard
[...]
opms0            at vt? irq 12            # PS/2 auxiliary port mouse

According to the opms man pages, opms also uses the /dev/pms0 device
node. for X11, use that and use the "busmouse" protocol in the Xserver
configuration.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: the server is up