Subject: Re: configuring /dev/ttyE0 for vt0 after kernal build
To: Matthew Miller <namille2@vt.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/2000 14:31:46
On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 01:54:02PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Ok, I spoke too soon. I thought I had the config right this time. Perhaps
> someone can show me what I'm doing wrong. Below is the bit of the config
> file I'm working on:

You're mixing old style PCVT, with new style wscons.

Assuming you wanted PCVT for a) multiple consoles, and b) VTxxx terminal
emulation, then you should switch to wscons, it does all that (and more) too.

> vt0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # PCVT console driver
Comment that out.

> # wscons
> pckbc0  at isa?                 # pc keyboard controller
> #pckbd* at pckbc?               # PC keyboard
Uncomment that.

> # "opms" should not be enabled together with "pms" or "pmsi"
> pms*            at pckbc?               # PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
> #pmsi*          at pckbc?       # PS/2 "Intelli"mouse for wsmouse
> #opms*          at pckbc?               # backwards compatible PS/2 mouse
> #vga0           at isa?
> #vga*           at pci?
> #pcdisplay0     at isa?                 # CGA, MDA, EGA, HGA
> #wsdisplay*     at vga? console ?
> #wsdisplay*     at pcdisplay? console ?
> #wskbd* at pckbd? console ?
> wsmouse*        at pms?
> #wsmouse*       at pmsi?

I'd uncomment all the above, except opms. I haven't found any hardware
that required using opms vs pms, and XFree86 likes wsmouse with pms
the best.

> I'm now out of ideas. I really want both my vt's and mouse. I'm at a
> loss. The computer is a ibm valuepoint 486 with a ps/2 bus mouse.
> I would be grateful for any help.

The mouse won't give you a console mouse yet of course, wsmouse is
a framework that keeps everything in one place, for X now, and for
a console mouse someday.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me