Subject: Re: configuring /dev/ttyE0 for vt0 after kernal build
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/2000 18:54:54
On 26.05.00, 11:35:55, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I rebuilt my kernal to use the virtual console drivers. Well, after bootup I
> get this message: getty: /dev/ttyE0: device not configured.

The old virtual terminal (pcvt) does not use the ttyE<n> ttys, but
rather ttyv<n>, where <n> is the number of the virtual console,
ranging from 0 to (number of consoles) - 1.

The ttyE<n> ttys are for wscons, which is the preferred virtual
console driver these days. You probably only want to use pcvt, if
wscons don't work on your system.

> vt0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1
> vt0: unknown s3, 80 col, color, 8 scr, mf2-kbd, [R3.32]
> opms0 at vt0 irq 12
> vt0: console
>
> My vidio card is a S3 864. Oh! I also have a ps/2 bus mouse which is
> detected as opms0. What device does this appear under? There are no
> /dev/opms* devices.

Use the newer pms* drivers for PS/2 mice, not opms* ("o" as in "old").

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: To serve the power.
		-- Herb Peyerl