Subject: Re: AMD k6-2 Compatibility ?
To: haaati <haaati@excite.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/2000 00:56:17
haaati writes:

> hello,
>
> I have heard great things about netbsd from my friends so I want to run it
> on my current machine.
> I was unsure if the following components are compatible with the i386 port
> of netBSD.  the system is as follows:
>
> K6/2-300 or K6/2-450

Should be no problem.

> Soyo 5EHM (1MB cache, UDMA 33, AGP 2x slot)

Should be no problem.  What chipset does this use?

> 64mb PC100 (up to 256mb)

More the better.. :)

> Acer 24x CD-ROM

Occasionally an EIDE CD-ROM is flakey, but this is likely to be fine.

> Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 4MB Video card (PCI)
> Diamond Monster 3DFX 4MB 3D card (PCI

NetBSD uses XFree86, so these should be supported, and with some
of the Linux compatibility (or perhaps under XFree86 4.0) you should
be able to get hardware OpenGL support on your voodoo card.

> Quantum 2.1GB harddrive

Should be fine.

> Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 (PnP, ISA)
> Altec Lansing Speakers

Actual SoundBlasters are supported very well, so you should be set.

> 3.5 Floppy drive
> Baby AT case
> Microsoft Wheelmouse or Logitech 3 button mouse

The wheel will need some XFree86 + Netscape + xterm + whatever tweaking
to get it working, but I hear it works. :)

> Cardinal 28.8 External modem
> Standard 101 Keyboard

Standard stuff, should be fine.  I think one person reported some
problems from a bad keyboard last year, but how likely is that. :-)

> I checked out the i386 port hardware compatibility list and I think most of
> these components are compatible, but I am unsure.

Everything you list is very standard, except perhaps the 3DFX card.
Getting the hardware OpenGL working will probably be the trickiest
part, and that is likely to be a matter of finding the right drivers
and/or XF86Config stuff.

Do you plan on using an ethernet card at some point?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.