Subject: Re: ATI RAGE problems
To: Matthew L. Martin <mmartin@ennovatenetworks.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/2000 22:55:07
On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 08:33:41AM -0400, Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Jukka Marin wrote:

> > > I had the same problem with that combination in linux. Upgrading to
> > > 3.3.6 fixed it.

I installed the NetBSD 1.4.2 binaries with XFree 3.3.6 and the problem went
away.  I didn't need to change /etc/XF86Config.

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 07:51:27AM -0700, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> You probably want to double and triple check the mode line you have
> selected with the monitor specs.  Its not hard.  The semi-undocumented
> numbers are just the timings in dot-clock units of the on-screen time,
> the front-porch, sync pulse and back-porch of the H-sweep and V-sweep.
> The monitor specs will put frequency limitations on the sweeps and
> time constraints on the sync pulses and porches.  The dot clock should
> be the lowest number that will get all your pixels up there at your
> desired refresh rate.
>
> Doing a good job of tweaking the modeline bought me a 10% higher
> refresh rate without cranking up the dot clock.  If you are already
> near the frame buffer's and/or monitors limit then cranking that will
> just make your pixels fuzzier.  Pooching a modeline calculation and
> not meeting a timing spec can cause the monitor to loose lock
> spectacularly -- one-pixel wide white horizontal lines flashing
> rapidly for only one frame etc, with surprisingly loud
> snapping/sweaking sounds as the magnetic components of the monitor
> complain loudly about the abuse.

This might be worth investigating as well, especially if it produces a
better picture quality (sharper image).

Thanks to all who responded.  Now, let's get that Matrox back to the
dealer.. I heard it's under warranty :-O

  -jm