Subject: Re: Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux/i386 runs!
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dole=E8ek?= <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2000 13:21:46
On Tue, 16 May 2000, Jaromír Doleček wrote:

:  I played with this one too and haven't found out why the server
: install crashed for me (told me something with ULIMIT and playing
: with that didn't help)

You probably didn't increase all of SHMMAXPGS (to something Really Big),
SEMMNS, and SEMMNI.  This change is actually documented in the Oracle
install docs, though the first is listed as SHMMAX (since NetBSD divides it
by the pagesize to get SHMMAXPGS).

One way to see if SHMMAXPGS is large enough is to run
<cd-mount-point>/bin/tstshm.  If you see:

    Number of segments gotten by shmget() = 50

then your SHMMAXPGS is large enough.

: Last time I tried installing 8i (about a month ago), the gui started
: up just fine,

May have been 8.1.6, and not 8.1.6.1.  The JVM used in 8.1.6.1 has some, er,
tweaks (read:  Oracle has native-compiled all of the standard Java classes,
and there are some other Oracle JVM extensions).

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)