Subject: Re: Can't install LILO
To: Michael Agbaglo <byteshifter@shifted-bytes.de>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2000 10:59:33
On Tue, 16 May 2000, Michael Agbaglo wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I just bought the NetBSD 1.4.1 Double-CD. It can be booted w/o any
> trouble, the installation succeeds, but then the machine can't boot from
> HD.
>
> I have an old ASUS board w/ a Pentium, an IBM 4.3 GB HD and a Tekram
> 390U (Controller).
>
> It doesn't matter whether I'm accepting the suggested values
> (cylinders,heads,sectors) from the install programm, go through the
> "auto-detection" or type in the values from pfdisk.exe after having
> cleared the mbr
>
> Depending on the method: The machine hangs at "LI", complains that no
> operating system is installed or or simply resets after having accessed
> the HD

You had linux on this machine previously, right?  NetBSD doesn't use the
LILO booter.

I've never had to do it on an i386, but you can reset the MBR booter by
using DOS's fdisk command as such: "fdisk /mbr"

There is definitely a way to do this under NetBSD, but I don't know what
it is (sorry - again, I've never really had to do it...).

Hope this helps,

-Jon
 "There is no fourth tower of Inverness!!!" -Meatball Fulton