Subject: Re: Can't boot from NetBSD-1.4.2 Release CD.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/15/2000 19:41:20
On 15.05.00, 12:40:33, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 02:57:12PM +0000, wqiu@webcombo.net wrote:
> > > I was able to install NetBSD.1.4.2 throuth floppy over the
> > > weekend: I made two boot floppy and boot my PC with them,
> > > then install the distribution sets from the CD.
> > >
> > > Maybe something is not right with my PC: it can boot Win95
> > > CD, but not NetBSD.1.4.2 CD. I have to use the floppy drive
> > > to install NetBSD.
> >
> > I think the 1.4.2 install CD uses a 2.88 MB floppy image, maybe that's the
> > problem ?
>
> if its the CD Charles had pressed, then yes, it does use a 2.88 image.

I should think that most bootable NetBSD CDs use the 2.88-image, since
even the docs state that the boot-big.fs floppy image's main purpose
is to serve as a boot image for bootable CDs.

I have used that myself to create custom NetBSD-CDs for friends and
relatives, and it works fine.

Using the boot-tiny.fs image as a floppy image when making a
bootable CD might solve this problem; a 5.25"-1200k-floppy would then
be emulated, at the cost of not having PCI and PCMCIA-devices
available at install time.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD is full. Go away.