Subject: Re: laptop IRQ magic
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/11/2000 13:50:44
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

> So, my laptop has a sound chip that probes as any of ym0, wss0, or sb0.  It
> doesn't seem to care which.

> Anyone had any luck with a system like this?  It's a Gateway Solo 2300, for
> what it's worth.  I've got PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP on, but it doesn't seem to help.

I have a digital HiNote VP. It took some trial and error to get the
audio to work: It's possible to set individual I/O addresses for SB,
WSS, and AdLib, and set the interrupt, too, or leave it in "auto". I
leave it in auto, and it probes as wss, but with all the addresses
under the "manual" mode reserved (below). The mpu device is set
manually for 330h, irq 9 because there is no "mpu* at pnpbios?". They
all probe as:

wss0 at pnpbios0 index 17 (CSC0000)
wss0: io 530-537 388-38b 220-220f, irq 5, dma 1 3
wss0: CS4237B
audio0 at wss0: full duplex, mmap
opl0 at wss0: model OPL3
midi0 at opl0: WSS Yamaha OPL3
mpu0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x331 irq 9

midi1 at mpu0: Roland MPU-401 MIDI UART

My kernel config has all of the "_soundcard_ at isa? ..." commented
out, also have options PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP and PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP.

It'll play mp3's (and CD's). I haven't tried to hook up a
microphone or use the MPU device for anything, either.