Subject: 4.5GB SCSI Disk/geometry woes on 1.4.2
To: port-i386@netbsd.org <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Paul <stevep@mccue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2000 20:24:55
Greetings,

I am having a heck of a time with a certain 4.5GB UW SCSI
drive under 1.4.2.  It's on a PII300, U2940UW controller.
It's an IBM DDRS-34560D, and it's actual geometry is:
8387c/5 head/212 sect.  pfdisk 0/list wants 555c/255h/63sect.

I removed all other devices so as this is SCSI target 0 on
the SCSI controller and only the primary IDE is enabled
with an ATAPI CDROM drive.  I have also tried disabling
both IDE controllers and booting from 1.4.2 floppies- same
results.

If I fdisk/format with FAT32, the drive partitions, formats and
boots to a C: prompt with the 555/255/63 geometry perfectly.
If I do the same with NetBSD, the machine freezes on boot
afterwards and I have to low-level the drive in order to try anything
again. After NetBSD- even booting off a floppy- as soon as anything
(DOS, NetBSD kernel.. even an NT boot CD) tries to read the
partition table/MBR, it hangs the machine.  CTRL-ALT-DEL works.
I just reset, CTRL-A into Adaptec menu and low-level format it to
get the machine to boot off floppy or CDROM once more.

Any hints or insights?

Thanks in advance,
Steve