Subject: Re: Invalid partition table
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Hans de Hartog <hans_de_hartog@hotmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/2000 22:22:28
atatat wrote:

>what you've got is
>
> >3: sysid 169 (NetBSD)
> >    start 63, size 17849937 (8715 MB), flag 0x80
> >        beg: cylinder    0, head   1, sector  1
> >        end: cylinder 1023, head 255, sector 63
>
>but your starting head and sector seem to be wrong, which is probably
>what's confusing things.
>
>run fdisk -i on that disk and tell it no, you don't want the change
>what the bios thinks, and then, for each partition:

I assume you meant "fdisk -u" which let you change partitions individually.

>  * yes, you want to change the partition (if it's in use)
>  * just keep all the defaults (fdisk will recalculate cyl/head/sector for
>you)
>  * no, you don't want to explicitly specify beg/end address
>  * yes, this entry is okay
>
>then, tell it yes, write the new partition table.

Well, I did this and fdisk changed the last line
from        end: cylinder 1023, head 255, sector 63
to          end: cylinder 1023, head 28, sector 21
but booting still dies with "Invalid partition table".

I then wrote a selectable mbr (with the -B option for fdisk)
although I only have one choice to boot, and it worked!!!!!!
Trying to get rid of the selectable mbr (fdisk -i) resulted
again in "Invalid boot partition".
So I did the fdisk -B again and set the timeout to 0 and it
all worked again.
I guess I have to live with a selectable mbr.

Hans.