Subject: Re: 8-bit vs. 16-bit sound...
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/2000 13:04:54
<thorpej@zembu.com> (Jason R Thorpe) writes:

> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 09:19:05AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>
>  > 	Just a related question - the sb emulation on my thinkpad is
>  > 	broken (it just loops the first section of any sample).
>  > 	Its detected as:
>  > 		sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.01
>  > 		audio0 at sb0: half duplex, mmap, independent
>  > 	pnpbios reports the (ignored) resources as:
>  > 		ESS1681 (io 220-22f 388-38b 330-331, irq 5, dma 1)
>  >
>  > 	Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to try to get this to
>  > 	work (-current) - obviously a native driver would be nice, but
>  > 	I'd prefer to get the emulated sb working first...
>
> Really, if it were me, I'd try to get a native driver working :-)  The
> datasheets for many ESS ISA chips are on the ESS web site... it could
> probably be made to work with the current `ess' driver.

ESS's online documentation is sadly inadequate these days. The "data
sheets" they have avaliable are mostly two-to-four-page blurbs without
programming information.

That said, it's probably a 1688 deriviatve (though there's nothing on
the site that actualy says 1681), and if you can fight your way
through their voice mail tree, they've ben quite willing to ship
programming information on paper. Our driver should be abusable into
driving a 1688-era chip.

        - Nathan