Subject: Embedded NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John D. DeHart <jdd@arl.wustl.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/2000 13:14:58
We are currently trying to debug an embedded system of our own design with a Pentium
processor on which we are running a NetBSD kernel with the file system in a memory disk.

Under moderate ping traffic our system is crashing with kernel page faults which I believe
are caused by memory corruption. I think this, because, if I turn on  POOL_DIAGNOSTIC,
that diagnostic code often catches inconsistencies in the mbuf memory pools before
it gets to the point of a kernel page fault.

At this point we cannot say whether the problem is hardware or software.
We are attacking it from many different angles.

I'm wondering if there is anyone else who is working with an embedded
NetBSD system that might have some suggestions on anything special that has to be
configured for vm and paging to work right in such a system.

I know this is rather vague but right now I'm just searching for someone with
anything similar that might have some insight to get me started in the right
direction for debugging this thing.

Thanks,
John
jdd@arl.wustl.edu