Subject: Re: recommended sound cards?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2000 14:38:48
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 05:30:30PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

 > Try almost anything that fiddles with card settings with
 > ioctl.
 >
 > "audioplay foo.au" does it pretty consistently.
 >
 > The hangs are momentary.
 >
 > Note that the difference between the people winning and losing seems
 > to be that the losers like me have ES1371s.

That's so odd -- I have an ES1371 and I listen to MP3s on it literally
all day long.  Just tried your audioplay example with a raw linear audio
file freshly ripped from Phish:Hampton Comes Alive, and it plays great, no
hangs, no pauses.

Note, I have a different codec on my ES1371 than you do.  Maybe that's the
difference?

eap0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0: vendor 0x1274 product 0x1371 (rev. 0x08)
eap0: interrupting at irq 10
eap0: CRY19 codec; headphone, 20 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, Spatializer 3D
audio0 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>