Subject: Re: setting video mode in biosboot..
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@cosmic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/2000 17:17:24
In article <200004160539.BAA16933@ghost.whirlpool.com>,
Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com> wrote:
>So I added a 'biosvideomode' function and call it just before
>the 'print_banner' in biosboot.  This has the effect of switching
>back to 80x25 and clearing the screen.  Combine this with printing
>the text logo from Greywolf's .sig (hope you don't mind!) and it
>looks pretty nice on my I-Opener.  And it will reboot cleanly without
>manual intervention. (e.g. operator pressing TAB during boot)

First, thanks so much for doing this!

Second... does anyone know the magical incantation for getting
resolutions higher than 80x25 in the biosvideomode function?

I tried setting %ax to 0x4f02 and %bx to the VESA mode I wanted
(e.g. 0x010c), but no joy.

Irritating, because I really like the extended VESA consoles on
Linux and would love to have them in NetBSD land.

--Mirian