Subject: Re: setting video mode in biosboot..
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2000 11:01:31
Jon Lindgren writes:

> Woohoo!  I was thinking of doing the same - pressing TAB got to be a bit
> tedious.  Perhaps a different question, but does wscons/something allow us
> to set the default resolution (i.e. to a greater size, such as 80x40 or
> 132x50) on boot?  This would be great for those who have larger monitors,
> and want to take advantage of the screen realestate available.

Yes, the TAB bit was pretty annoying.  WRT wscons, you just need to adjust
/etc/wscons.conf to get 80x50 or something else.  If you truly want 80x50
during the kernel boot, you could probably just adjust my patch to set
the videomode appropriately.

> Also, will the diffs work against 1.4U?  If so, I'll try'em on my system
> and let you know.

It should, the patch is extremely simple. (which is why I did it. :)
Make sure you test your resulting biosboot.sym on a floppy and another
normal system before changing your i-opener!

> Thanks for doing this!

No problem.  I hope to enhance the patch slightly to allow passing
the video mode as '-DVIDEMODE_80X25' or similar.  This would allow you
to set it in the Makefile easily.  Even fancier would be an option
to allow you to do 'video 0x02' at the boot prompt. :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.