Subject: Re: Problem with DPT SCSI
To: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
From: Segfault <segfault@iname.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/2000 13:03:42
on [DATE], Andy Doran at [ADDRESS] wrote:

> Segfault <segfault@iname.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I have thought of the problems you mentioned (cabling/termination,
>> etc). However, I used to have FreeBSD installed on the system, and FreeBSD
>> doesn't seem to have any problem with my DPT SCSI adapter.
>
> Ok. If possible, can you get for me:
>
> - relevant pieces of boot-time dmesg/msgbuf
> - firmware revision from the DPT BIOS boot notice
> - the error message(s)
>
> I'd also be interested to know if you've got the optional modules installed
> on the board.

Firmware messages:

DPT SCSI BIOS v003.DS
Controller: PM2044UM v07H.1 Port:E010H IRQ:12
Drive 1 ...

Boot-time messages:
DPT0 at pci0 dev9 function0
scsibus0 at dpt0 channel0 16 targets 8 lun
sd0 ...

Error messages:
sd0 (dpt:0:0:0) illegal request, data=00 00 00 00 24 00 00 ce 00 09

-or-

sd0 (dpt:0:0;0) illegal request, data=00 00 00 00 24 00 00 ca 00 09

It display these messages tons of times (90% of the time is the top one),
and then when it finally gives up:

dump to dev 17,1 not possible
locked against itself

sync: writing

The sync/reboot process goes so quickly, that I couldn't write down all of
the error messages... Either case, I'm quite afraid of going back and trying
to run it through that process again... I suspect it had killed two of the
hard drives installed it.

After I've run it through the installation process, the drive that I tried
to install NetBSD on, cannot be recognized by the DPT SCSI adaptor (The boot
process halts at the Firmware message).

I have tried to connect the troubled drive to a Macintosh machine via SCSI
port, which also failed to see the drive in its SCSI utilities. After I've
disconnected the failed drive, I ran the machine through the installation
process a few more times. Suddenly the second drive I tried to install on
also failed.

I doubt it was just the drive's problem. Though the drives are quite old
(one around 7 yo, the other around 3-4 yo), but to have two hard drive fail
in the same mannor is unlikely.

Hope this gives you some ideas... :-(

Lucas.