Subject: RTC DST bit?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/2000 10:33:21
I (unfortunantly) must run Windows on my main PC, in addition to
NetBSD.  This makes the real-time clock stuff a bit of a pain (see
RTC_OFFSET in options(4)).  I usually just change RTC_OFFSET by hand twice
a year.  However, I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to
eliminate this (without giving NetBSD a bogus timezone that doesn't use
DST).

I seem to remember something about the CMOS keeping a "DST bit" indicating
whether the time in CMOS RAM is in daylight savings time or not.  I took a
quick look for information about that bit, but couldn't find any.  Does
anyone know about it?  If Windows actually updated that bit when it (in
its infinite wisdom) automatically updates the clock, then NetBSD could
test it to determine a proper RTC_OFFSET.  Windows must store that
information somewhere (so it knows if it has to update the clock
still).  If it is stored in the CMOS, is there any reason we couldn't have
an additional kernel option that adjusts the rtc_offset further if the dst
bit is set?

Anyone know how Linux handles the RTC offset?  I would guess Linux is more
"Windows friendly" in that respect.

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca                               http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/