Subject: Re: Problem with DPT SCSI
To: Segfault <segfault@iname.com>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/2000 13:30:45
Segfault <segfault@iname.com> wrote:

> Finally, I *could* install NetBSD on my PC--since I only have SCSI drives
> that are connected to a DPT PM2024 SCSI card.

I have a similar SmartCache III (ISA model) that works great.

> At the point when NetBSD is trying to copy the packages on to the drive, I'd
> get a ton of "illegal instruction" errors for the target hard drive, which
> after a few minutes of attempts, would end up with a reset of the SCSI card
> and eventual reboot (unsuccessfully).
>
> Since I have a total of 3 hard drives on the system, I tried on different
> drives to see whether this was a hardware problem. But apparantly, this
> problem occurs on ALL drives.

It does sound like a hardware problem. I'd guess that there's a problem with
the cabling/termination on the SCSI bus. It could also be a dud SCSI adapter.

I don't know how much you know about SCSI, but I can suggest taking a look
at the owner's handbook or DPT's site for some useful info.