Subject: Problem with DPT SCSI
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Segfault <segfault@iname.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/13/2000 19:56:47
Hi,

Finally, I *could* install NetBSD on my PC--since I only have SCSI drives
that are connected to a DPT PM2024 SCSI card.

But now I have trouble installing NetBSD on my PC.

NetBSD does detect the SCSI card correctly, and sees all the drives, etc. So
I proceeded to initialize the hard drives on my system, which also worked
beautifully.

At the point when NetBSD is trying to copy the packages on to the drive, I'd
get a ton of "illegal instruction" errors for the target hard drive, which
after a few minutes of attempts, would end up with a reset of the SCSI card
and eventual reboot (unsuccessfully).

Since I have a total of 3 hard drives on the system, I tried on different
drives to see whether this was a hardware problem. But apparantly, this
problem occurs on ALL drives.

Here is my configuration:

Pentium 166MMX Processor
64MB RAM
sd0 target 0 365MB
sd1 target 1 340MB
sd2 target 2 4GB
cd0 target 5 CD (External)

I am installing from a multisession CD that I have burned with the
NetBSD-1.4.2 install files on them.

What I cannot understand is, if NetBSD can initialize the drive properly
without problems, why would copying files onto the drive be any problem?

It is also not likely to be a problem with the SCSI CD-ROM drive, since the
error messages were directed from the target SCSI drive to which I'm
installing on.

I also have another SCSI CD-ROM, which also had the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx. :-\

Lucas.