Subject: raidframe/raid reliability
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dan J Fraser <dfraser@capybara.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/13/2000 01:44:40
I need to colocate a machine and have it be somewhat reliable.  So, I was
thinking I should put two drives in it, and use RAIDframe with level 1.

The reliability level I want is this:  If a drive dies, the machine should
keep working until I can get on-site and fix it.  It doesn't have to be
hotswap, etc... A few minutes of downtime for a driveswap/reboot is fine,
but a few hours of downtime while I drive to the facility is not fine.

Will RAIDframe on i386 hardware (Intel BX IDE?) do this for me?

Will the Promise FastTrack66 cards do this for me under NetBSD?  Will I be
able to tell if a drive has failed?

--
Dan J. Fraser <dfraser@capybara.org> -- http://www.capybara.org/~dfraser/
PGP Key ID = 0xF3972A01 -- IRC (irc.warped.net) nick: Optic