Subject: Re: New Install w/o floppies?
To: Peter Rodgers <peter@funyellow.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2000 10:47:41
On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 08:41:02PM -0700, Peter Rodgers wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking into installing a FreeOS on an old laptop I have lying around,
> and am considering NetBSD, but couldn't find a listed install producedure
> for my (somewhat unusual) situation, namely that the machine has no floppy
> drive, or standard floppy controller.  I can write to the HD from another
> machine, but I don't want to go through configuration with a completely
> different set of hardware than I will ultimately be using.
>
> At the moment, the best solution I've come up with is to create a 16MB or so
> DOS partition, with card and socket services and FTP, and install Debian
> Linux by FTP, but I'd really rather use a BSD variant.

Create a small DOS partition, put the kernel from the boot floppy on it and
boot it via dosboot.com ('dosboot netbsd.gz').
You'll need a NetSBD machine to extract the netbsd.gz from the floppy (just
mount the floppy, it's a FFS filesystem). dosboot.com can be extracted from
base.tgz (it's in /usr/mdec).
If you can't do it I'll put them on a ftp site somewhere.

Both the install kernel and dosboot.com should probably be provided in the
NetBSD-1.4.2/i386/installation directory.