Subject: Re: NetBSD and routing
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@manumission.org>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/2000 22:25:22
Brian de Alwis wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Although you're probably not allowed by your contract to run servers on
> > your cable modem you can of course and you can avoid running them on the
> > gatway box by using the NAT to redirect and rewrite packets to any given
> > TCP service through to some internal host on your LAN (and then of
> > course you can add a DNS entry pointing to your cable IP, updating it
> > from your dhclient script every time it changes).
>
> Be careful with this: Rogers@Home does check for servers periodically.
> I was burned for running an older sendmail which allowed resending,
> and was cut-off until I stopped all and any servers. So I instead
> blocked all packets coming from Rogers. Same effect from their
> perspective :-)

I knew about the "no servers" part of it.... for now, I'm planning on having
the other pmachines in the house connect through the one firewall (and
account) so I can use my machine whenever, instead of juggling around whenever
my kids aren't using it....

I think I'll be turning on logging, to see where outside traffic is coming
from...

Stan