Subject: Re: Anyone recommend a good terminal type?
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/2000 01:28:50
On Jul 15,  3:02am, Roger Brooks wrote:
} On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
}
} >>      Why?  A real vt220 terminal doesn't have colour, so why should a
} >> termcap/terminfo entry for a vt220 have colour definitions?
} >
} >It shouldn't strictly.
}
} But many vt220 emulators do have colour support (and I suspect real
} VT220 terminals are a bit rare these days).  And a properly-constructed

     Not as rare as you might think.  I have several real DEC terminals
(including a VT220).  Other people on the list, have also mentioned
having them.

} ANSI escape sequence parser should silently ignore any SGR parameters
} which it doesn't understand.  Certainly a Wyse-185, which is the nearest

     Not the point.  A real terminal can do anything it wants with an
undefined sequence.  Furthermore, an application using it would expect
the terminal to behave in a certain way which it won't, and may use it
in preference to something that would be much more suitable, such as
inverse, highlight, underline, flash, etc.

}-- End of excerpt from Roger Brooks