Subject: Re: Anyone recommend a good terminal type?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/2000 10:15:31
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, John Nemeth wrote:

> On Jul 3,  8:58am, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> } On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> }
> } > I've installed ncurses-5.0 and dialog, but the default vt220 terminal
> } > type defined in /etc/ttys does not support colour. Looking through
> } > terminfo.src, I can't see any other obvious choices. I tried pc3, but it
> } > doesn't have top-bit characters to display lines, etc.
> }
> } Actually, it's supposed to support color, but there's evidently some
>
>      Why?  A real vt220 terminal doesn't have colour, so why should a
> termcap/terminfo entry for a vt220 have colour definitions?  Wouldn't
> it be better to use a more appropriate terminal type?

You're right, it doesn't. T.E Dickey pointed out to me that, in
termcap, "Co#N" means colors, "co#N" means columns (case significant).
For terminfo, it's "colors#N". BTW, you can view the compiled terminfo
entries with "infocmp".

What was confusing me was that lynx linked with libslang _does_ do
color with the plain xterm and xterm-r6 entries. Evidently lynx sets
COLORTERM in the environment (for libslang), without regard to either
the terminfo or termcap entries.