Subject: Re: no go on SCSI boot disk setup
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/2000 04:09:19
> How do I do that?  There wasn't anything in the numbers that I posted
> that would indicate anything amiss?

PC BIOS geometry crap is so screwed up, it is not easy to tell if things
are "right" because the installer you use and the version of the boot
blocks figure into it also. Generally newer installers should work better...

Even if I exhaustively analyzed your MBR and disklabel in light of the
geometries, there's no guarantee I would find the problem. The "rules"
are too complicated to adequately explain without getting drowned in
minutiae, and I don't think any of us even knows all of them... It has
taken quite a lot of head-banging and brainpower from NetBSD luminaries
to get the BIOS installation logic even to the point it's at today.

The "alternate geometry" setting is a feature of Adaptec BIOS's (at least
the few that I've seen) in which the BIOS fakes up a geometry that tends
to be a lot easier for partitioning tools to work with. If you can enable
that and repartition the drive from scratch, it will likely Just Work. It
was the main thing that got my dual-boot setup working easily.

That and System Commander.

> Other than the fact that I prefer SCSI....  What alternatives?

Trying a more recent installer, like 1.4.2 or something from a -current
snapshot. They are interoperable (or should be), so you can install
current using a 1.4.2 install disk and vice versa. AFAIK nothing has
broken that.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com