Subject: Re: no go on SCSI boot disk setup
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/2000 08:14:28
On Mar 26, 12:54am, Todd Whitesel wrote:
(I wrote:)
>> OK, I got a bootable SCSI card, and the system is willing to boot from it,
>> but getting the disk set up so I can actually boot from it seems to be
>> rocket science, and I'm not grokking it.
>
>I think you're getting burnt by the "SCSI firmware wants to use a phony
>geometry which doesn't match the one the drive tells NetBSD about" problem.
>
>Is there some reason why you cannot try 1.4.2 instead?

What I would like is to run -current.  My intent is to move the contents
of wd0 (which is currently 1.4M, but is now being updated to this weekend's
-current) to sd0, and run off that.

>With 1.3x you can see if the BIOS has an "alternate geometry" option;
>enable that and tell sysinst to install onto the whole disk.

How do I do that?  There wasn't anything in the numbers that I posted
that would indicate anything amiss?

>I've gotten 1.3.2 to boot (and dual boot) from SCSI disks, but it wasn't
>fun. I don't recommend it, especially since there are alternatives now.

Other than the fact that I prefer SCSI....  What alternatives?

Thanks,
~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

Good day to let down old friends who need help.