Subject: Re: no go on SCSI boot disk setup
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/2000 00:54:30
> OK, I got a bootable SCSI card, and the system is willing to boot from it,
> but getting the disk set up so I can actually boot from it seems to be
> rocket science, and I'm not grokking it.

I think you're getting burnt by the "SCSI firmware wants to use a phony
geometry which doesn't match the one the drive tells NetBSD about" problem.

Is there some reason why you cannot try 1.4.2 instead?

With 1.3x you can see if the BIOS has an "alternate geometry" option;
enable that and tell sysinst to install onto the whole disk.

I've gotten 1.3.2 to boot (and dual boot) from SCSI disks, but it wasn't
fun. I don't recommend it, especially since there are alternatives now.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com