Subject: Re: Printing with netscape impossible?
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/2000 08:52:59
Thus spake Laine Stump
> At 07:08 PM 3/17/00 +0100, P_llen wrote:
> >On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Laine Stump wrote:
> >
> >> gs also shows the following device drivers in the standard install that
> >> sound like they may work for you: lj5mono lj5gray.
> >
> >Any ideas which driver is best for a HP DeskJet 815C?
>
> It looks like the device "hpdj", a separate driver which is installed as
> part of GhostScript when you install from pkgsrc, does a pretty good job of
> supporting several different DeskJet devices, although the 815C isn't
> specifically mentioned.

Cool.  That mostly worked for me.  I had to create the following input
filter for lpd.

#! /bin/sh

TMP=/usr/tmp/$$.gs
trap "rm -f $TMP" 0
cat > $TMP
echo exit >> $TMP

gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- -r600x600 $TMP

The -q option keeps it from dumping the GS> prompt to the output a bunch
of times but I still get some garbage at the end including a GS>.  Any
idea how to clean that up?