Subject: Re: Diamond RIO500 USB driver and tools ported.
To: None <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/2000 18:59:56
[snip]

   But, and this is a big but, I'm not sure the driver should be in the
   kernel at all.  The ugen driver in NetBSD allows you to do all the
   things you need to access the Rio500 device, so there is no real
   need for a kernel driver.
   What is people opinion on this?  Should we have special kernel
   drivers or just userland code?  This first is quite convenient,
   but bloats the kernel somewhat.

[snip]

   --

	   -- Lennart

Hello....

I would prefer a userland only solution if for no other reason that it
would tend to work on a larger number of recent NetBSD "versions".  I have
1.4P and would stand a larger chance of being able to use a userland
solution then a new kernel driver would afford me.  I'd probably have to
upgrade if a kernel driver was used.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]