Subject: RE: Diamond RIO500 USB driver and tools ported.
To: Alex Nemirovsky <nemiroal@yahoo.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/2000 20:17:10
[distribution fixed: tech-kern was misspelled]

> The rio user land code also calls special ioctls
> ( which send out special vendor specific requests to
> the default control pipe)
> to the rio driver. Would we need to roll these ioctls
> out of the driver and back into the userland code?

What you are talking about is the Linux backend of the userland stuff
talking to  their kernel interface. The userland tools should get additional
#ifdef'ed stuff  to talk to the shared library implementing our interface.
Of course these changes should be handed back to the maintainers/developers
of the userland tools.

We have similar differences in *many* places. That's what the great standard
unix world is like.

This does not forbid us to make our interfaces similar or compatible if
their design is right from a technical point of view!

Martin