Subject: Re: Netpliance Iopener booted with NetBSD...
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/2000 15:15:20
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

> perhaps...though not quite as slick as
>
>    % cat > hello.c
>    main() { printf("Hello world\n"); }
>    % make hello
>    cc -O  hello.c  -o hello
>    % ./hello
>    Hello world
>    % gzip -9 hello
>    % ./hello.gz
>    Hello world
>    % uname -a
>    FreeBSD something.graffiti.com 2.2.8-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE #0: Tue Jan  4 11:46:22 EST 2000     root@something.graffiti.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/PAO  i386

That is a pretty slick feature, and it doesn't _seem_ like it would be
that hard to do, either.  This feature would be great for those of us with
small disks; might it even improve performance over NFS rooted boxes?  It
also allows us to fit more userland onto the "system on a floppy" type of
setups (for simple routers, etc...).

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...