Subject: how does one debug a socket?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2000 18:42:21
I have recompiled a graphics package with ACE -- the adaptive
communications environment. BUT! When I run a program in
server mode, my instructions don't get through! Sometimes, all
the ports are messed up and I mus reboot the machine.

My technique is basically to run the program in server mode
under gdb at port 7777, then to goto another window and
telnet in and send the server various commands.

Just a few hours ago, I decided to watch the socket with
tcpdump using the command line

tcpdump -i lo0 port 7777

i finally induced the error -- nothing gets returned from port
7777. My questions are:
1) If there is a coding error, how do I catch it?
2) If the coding error is in ACE, where should I set the
breakpoint
3) Does anyone out there have any experience with ACE or
sockets, so I may get some pointers from you...

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com