Subject: Re: latest wizzbang pc m/boards.
To: Michael C. Ibarra <ibarra@hawk.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/2000 18:47:55
In message <4.2.0.58.20000319205121.00db8100@shadow>,
"Michael C. Ibarra" writes:

>At 01:31 PM 03/19/2000 -0500, Alex wrote:

>For those who do, apparently xfree86 needs only a loadable kernel module,
>which I believe IWAMOTO Toshihiro has ported from linux? We use these
>mobos on our entire 1U product line with absolutely no problems whatsoever
>and we've had three burning in for several months.

Yum.  How are the slots laid out for adding in PCI 90-degree riser
cards in larger rackmount chassis?

>We never ordered any "special" memory so I can't elaborate on this. Another
>Intel motherboard we use is the L440GX+, which seems rather hard to find these
>days :-( We haven't been able to test this board with NetBSD as of yet since
>our other servers will mostly run Linux.

L440GX+ works just fine with NetBSD. (i tried several while getting
NetBSD serial consoles to play beter with the ServerBIOS serial console).
I havent been able to try spinning up a second CPU, though.

>This board, just like the
>CA810EAL, offers
>onboard VGA, LAN, SCSI (not the 810EAL though) and it is capable of being
>used via the BIOS for serial console, probably why it has become almost
>extinct.

Yep.  Me, I'd guess that Intel also shut down production slightly too
early before the i840-based replacement came online.  All the
mailorder houses promised more L440s in early/mid-March, but no sign yet.