Subject: Re: latest wizzbang pc m/boards.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/2000 13:31:53

> I've also had good luck in the past with Intel motherboards, although I
> haven't bought one in awhile. I'm thinking of getting a CA810EAL
> motherboard with integrated video/sound/ethernet - the 810 isn't the
> fastest chipset on the market, but everything on the motherboard + an
> FC-PGA PIII means that you can fit an entire server into a 1U high box.

I've got about a dozen 1U machines built on the CA810EAL.  They're
trucking right along.  (Note: I think Xfree86 on these is still an
issue, but don't really know ---- I'm booting these to serial consoles
and don't care.)

> (Speaking of that - apparently you need to get special low profile memory
> for this. The two places where I've found 1U cases have memory, but it
> seems quite expensive relative to the market; anybody know a source of
> regularly priced DIMMs that are low profile?)

<shrug> I just bought the 128 MB DIMMs recommended for these
boards by the people at The Chip Merchant.  They fit fine.
(www.thechipmerchant.com; 800 808 CHIP.  I've been doing business
with them for years, always been happy.  Unfortunately you can't
always figure out what memory you want for a given motherboard
from the material on thier web site, and whatever database their
sales people use to figure out which memory for which mboard
doesn't seem to be accessible on their web site, so you have to
make a phone call.)

On a new subthread:  anyone using the ASUS K7M or K7V K7 motherboard
with NetBSD?  Any issues?  Someone (not someone I consider particuarly
reliable) told me these support serial consoles in their BIOS, but I
don't see anything on ASUS' web site to support that; anyone know
for sure?

---Alex

Carl Alexander                                                    KD7GUR
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://web.mit.edu/~xela
------------- Work (where they call me 'Carl'):
carl@terc.edu     Sr. Systems & Network Administrator, TERC
                  http://www.terc.edu