Subject: Re: Printing with netscape impossible?
To: None <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2000 10:43:26
At 02:58 PM 3/17/00 +0100, Bernd Sieker wrote:
>On 16.03.00, 14:25:03, P=E5llen wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>>=20
>> >=20
>> > I've use the suse-linux package on this particular system.
>>=20
>> I use suse 6.3, Netscape 4.7, NetBSD-1.4.1 on different systems. Always
>> crash when printing to printer.
>
>Try using the BSDi-version of netscape, which runs natively (provided
>that your kernel includes COMPAT_NOMID). Since it is not running in
>the /emul/<arch>/-environment, there is also no trouble with confusing
>directory contents in file browsers.
>
>I'm using Netscape-Communicator 4.7-BSDi on NetBSD-1.4U with little
>trouble at all.

I'm using Netscape 4.7 for Linux on NetBSD 1.4U with no trouble at all,
including printing. And to top it off, Linux version of plugins such as
RealPlayer and Flash (which aren't available for BSDI) also work with the
Linux version of NetScape.=20

The printing problem under 1.4.1 is almost surely because of the suse 6.3
libraries, which won't work with 1.4.1. You need to checkout the suse
pkgsrc stuff from sometime late last year and install that instead - that
will give you 6.1. If you don't do this, you'll likely have a terrible time
getting *any* Linux software to work on 1.4.1. (BTW, I'm surprised that the
suse stuff isn't fixed to work properly (ie install suse 6.1 libs) for
1.4.1. When I asked about this after the last time someone reported a
related problem, and suggested that maybe pkgsrc should branch at releases
just like the core OS, I was told that an up-to-date pkgsrc was intended to
always work with all releases of NetBSD. This one still seems like a *big*
ommission.)