Subject: Compaq 5500 and more than 256Mb of RAM
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com,>
From: None <eric.delcamp@legrand.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2000 14:39:46
Hi !

I have made tests to boot a server with more than 256Mb of RAM (in this case,
768Mb), and the SMP kernel halt after displaying the Copyright messages and this
one :

"panic: vm_page_physget: called _after_ bootstap"

No debugger, just the classic "press any key to reboot".
In the case of the Compaq Proliant 5500 (and lots of Compaq servers), there is
some parameters in the BIOS than can help. One of them is the "Primary Operating
System" parameter. it could be important, because when booting Windows NT4 on a
server with the BIOS parameter set to "IntranetWare", the HAL doesn't want to
probe correctly if the system is a mono or multi processor machine, and then
halt.
Here is the possibility :
-Banyan VINES : 6.0 or +, 5.54 or -
-DOS : 5.0x or +, 4.0x, 3.3x
-IntranetWare : SMP, Netware
-OS/2 : SMP, 2.x or +, Compaq, 1.3x, 1.2 or -
-Unix : SCO 5, SCO unix, Solaris, UnixWare 2.1, UnixWare 2.0x, Unix/Xenix
-Windows NT : NT4.0, NT 3.51, NT 3.5, NT 3.1
-Winframe : 1.6/1.7
-Other

I have tried without success : UnixWare 2.1, Unix/Xenix, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, Other.
I think I have seen on a FreeBSD FAQ a special setting (something like "UnixWare
7" ?) to boot this OS (if I recall well, it was about the SMART Array Controller
under FreeBSD).

Anyone have hints on this ?

Thanks.

L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur Internet, la societe
ne peut etre tenue responsable de son contenu.
Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le detruire et
d'avertir l'expediteur.

The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.
The society cannot therefore be considered responsible for the contents.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please delete
it and notify the sender.