Subject: Re: New i386 user: mouse/X HELP/clarification and other Q's
To: Gene ENonymous <happygene@hotmail.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/2000 17:32:30
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Gene ENonymous wrote:

> Next step, I want to configure X. The doccumentation talks about
> XF86Setup - which sounds cool, but does not seem to be included

There is an XF86Setup package available, but it is not in the base
distribution.

> Is there any alternative to using wsmouse (/dev/wsmouse0)?
>   If so, what is it?
>   [I have examined dmesg output and I do not see anything that
>    looks like the mouse was recognized or configured -
>    certainly nothing mentioned in the wsmouse docs...]
>   If my mouse is not on wsmouse0(/1/2/3), where might it be?

  It looks like ps2 mice are not configured to use wsmouse in GENERIC in
1.4.2 (they are in -current).  But the opms driver is enabled, so you
should be able to use /dev/pms0 protocol busmouse.

> On the mailing list I see reference to 1.4C build... how does that
> compare to 1.4.1?

  1.4C is a develepment version after 1.4.

> In the packages directory I see packages available for i386
> under 1.4.2 and 1.4S but not under 1.4.1.
> Which packages directory should I use for my 1.4.1 installation?

  I think the 1.4.2 packages should work with 1.4.1.  I think you may also
be able to just drop in a 1.4.2 kernel with a 1.4.1 userland (though you
might need a new ps and friends).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net