Subject: Re: IBM token ring cards
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: None <clausa@dk.ibm.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/13/2000 10:51:29
Hi,

The IBM 16-bit ISA cards are all based on the Tropic chipset. I would go
for the newer "Turbo" edition as it should have a better performance. I use
this with only few problems (Which I think are socks related but that's
another story). I'm not sure but I think the 3COM uses this chipset too and
thus should work.

The Option P/N's (for retail ordering) can be found at
http://www.networking.ibm.com/tra/traover4.html - For what you're looking
for I think you should go for either  72H3482 (Diskette single pack) or
72H3514 (Card pack). The numbers listed below would _probably_ be FRU P/N
and are used when ordering as a spare part (=expensive!)

If you want to play around with PCI cards all the IBM versions (4/16/100)
are based on the Olympic chipset. I do not think anyone is working on any
port and the FreeBSD effort seems to be stalled completely (Can be found
at:  http://www.jurai.net/~winter/tr/tr.html). I for one would be a willing
tester as I am kind of "stuck" with this topology :-)

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen

P.S. Need I say: Work for Big Blue - does _not_ talk for them! :-)

Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com> on 11-03-2000 04:53:04

Please respond to Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>