Subject: Re: Storing/Playing music
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/2000 13:11:35
}I'm now halfway through my first encoding with bladeenc - I never realized
}it would be so incredibly slow! The resulting stuff plays properly on
}Winamp on my PC though, so I'm happy. (If cdparanoia would just do cddb
}lookups and name the files accordingly like cdd does; guess I'll need to
}make a script that grabs the names with cddbd...)

There's a fairly simple script that'll take care of it.
http://www.bigfoot.com/~simon.quinn/ripit.html
From the README
----
ripit is used to create MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) audio files from an Audio CD.
It is simply a front-end, written in perl, for 3 excellent programs:
    * "cdparanoia" or "cdda2wav" for ripping the Audio CD tracks
    * "bladeenc" or "lame" for encoding the MP3 files
    * "xmcd" for CDDB lookup (doesn't use the GUI stuff)

It runs in text mode (no fancy GUI here) and does everything required
to produce a set of MP3 files without any user-intervention.
This program does the following with an Audio CD:
    * Get the Audio CD Album/Artist/Tracks information from CDDB (using xmcd)
    * Rip the Audio CD Tracks (using cdparanoia or cdda2wav)
    * Encode the MP3s (using bladeenc or lame)
    * id3 tag the MP3s
    * Create an M3U file (lists MP3s created, used by various MP3 players)
----

It'd probably be simple to put in a package, if someone wanted to do
that.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu