Subject: Re: Storing/Playing music
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/2000 12:00:32
(this would probably be better fit to netbsd-users than port-i386, but the
original thread started here, and I wanted to make sure it reached all the
people who previously gave such good advice...)

Okay, I finally got a CDR for my NetBSD-current box (Matsushita CW-7585
ATAPI), and am now trying out people's suggestions. The first step is
ripping, and so far I've been unsuccessful. Here's what I've tried:

* tosha - says:

    # tosha -v -i -d /dev/cd0a
    Device: /dev/cd0a
    tosha: WARNING: Drive type not recognized.
    tosha: Can't read table of contents.

  I'm assuming this is because my drive is ATAPI, and the man page for tosha
  says it works only with SCSI.

* cdparanoia - no matter what command I give, it says:

    # cdparanoia -vQ -g /dev/cd0a
    Testing /dev/cd0a for SCSI interface
            generic device: /dev/cd0a
            ioctl device: /dev/cd0a
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  I'm going to dig into this with gdb unless someone already knows the
problem.

* cdd - when I run it, it says it doesn't know the command set for my drive,
  and gives me a choice of several to try. I pick an apparently "similar"
model
  (Matsushita CW-7582), and it copies for awhile (sometimes getting through
multiple
  songs), but eventually craps out with the error below:

    # cdd -a -n -r .
    [...]
    Copying AUDIO track 1 to ./Toumani Diabate - Djelika/01 Djelika.cda

    0:0:0:0 KB/sec: 589.55 CLBA: 32425 Overlap: 0 (-2352)

        Adjusted framesperread to 20 (32470:32450)

    SCSI Command failed: Set CD Speed0 Overlap: 0 (-2352)
    SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl: Command accepted.
    return status 1 (Command Timeout) after 2000 msCommand out (12 of 12):
    bb 00 ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 00 00

    Data out (0 of 1024):

    No sense sent.
    Unable to exit CDAudio Mode

So does anybody have any suggestions on any of these, or do I start digging?

BTW, example commandlines for grabbing the audio in the right format, and
commandlines for bladeenc/lame/whatever, would also be useful. I've been
thinking this info might make a good webpage...