Subject: Re: How to do network boot ?
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp.NO_SPAM@wanadoo.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2000 17:21:59
Eric Delcamp writes:
> Hi !
>
> I have an old ISA motherboard with a 486DX4 on it. I could put a 3COM509 on
> it, and I want to boot NetBSD from a NetBSD server. Some questions come to
> my mind:
> - how to do this ? The network card have a socket on it for a boot eprom,
> but I don't have one, and nothing to do something similar on the BIOS (like
> some recent motherboard).
> - I need at least a FAQ for the server side (what option for the kernel,
> DCHP, RBOOT, ...).
> - Oh, before anything, is it possible with such hardware ?

You should be able to build a 'netboot.sym' in src/sys/arch/i386/stand/netboot.
This can be written to a floppy with 'installboot', and will then boot the
kernel off of the network.  You may need to do 'make ; make netboot.sym' to
generate a valid netboot.sym.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.