Subject: Re: latest wizzbang pc m/boards.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp.NO_SPAM@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2000 21:36:26
Hi !

Well, with all the new technology rising theses months, it's important to
focus on important things like good design, reliability, expandability in
term of processors and slots.
You have the choice between two kind of processors : AMD Athlon and Intel
something (PII/P!!!/Celeron).
For Athlon, the choice is rather limited in term of motherboards, a quick
look at sites like http://www.anandtech.com or http://www.sharkyextreme.com
will give you some good advices.
For Intel, this became really difficult. But with the drop of Slot1 in favor
of S370 for the new PIII/Copermine, you could choose a S370 only
motherboard. The i820 chipset is a non-sense without the RDRam (really
expensive Ram !), the i810e (note the suffix) is interresting in term of
cost (entry level), the BX chipset is still here but miss some features, but
the most promising is the VIA 133A (IDE/66, RAM at 133Mhz, cost). You could
look at the previously mentioned Web sites to make your choice. But I may
leak some support under NetBSD (Manuel ? Did you know something about that
?)
Personnaly, I already have some Slot1/P2 processors in spare, so I choose an
MSI 6163Pro (BX chipset). In general, I like MSI for the quality of their
products.

Of course, it's only my opinion. Enjoy !