Subject: Re: NFS server hangs under 1.4.1
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2000 08:25:31
Todd Whitesel wrote:

> > About once a week, sometimes under heavy usage, sometimes not, my server
> > will hang during
> > NFS server activity: it only happens during NFS service.  Either client
> > can precipitate
> > the server hang.  But I cannot reproduce this at will with heavy NFS
> > traffic.  These are
> > home machines in a mostly quiet network (just me and my wife).
>
> Sounds familiar. In my case it was a PPro machine overdrive'd and serving
> sources via rsync to nine machines -- all of which were slower than it.
>
> It turned out to be a compatibility problem in the BIOS -- at some speeds
> the BIOS would get confused by the overdrive and run the CPU interface at
> a higher frequency than it should have. So it was just as if I'd been
> overclocking it like a PC d00d.

So this appears the best candidate.
(Anyone else remembering overclocking their PC/AT to 9Mhz?)

The machine is a Compaq 466 Prolinea, originally sporting a 486/66.  With the
overdrive in, the BIOS recognized the machine as a Compaq 5100 (Pentium I @ 100Mhz).

I jumpered down the MB to get the Overdrive recognzied as 75 Mhz. We'll try that
for a while (it's frustrating that the turn around time on the hang is so long).

To answer some of the other recommendations:

Martin Husemann wrote:

> Are thes filesystem on the SCSI or the IDE disk? You might try moving them
> temporarily over to the other drive and see if that improves things.

I don't have a SCSI drive to swap in and use (the one SCSI device is a tape drive).

Christos Zoulas wrote:

> can you go to the machine's bios and make sure that you've turned off
> power management?

Power management was and remains Off.

As for the ep driver it seems to me that it was the best of the
available ISA driver (least complaints)... until this thread.
I don't have any different NICs to swap in at this point.

	Thanks, I very much appreciate the constructive help.

	- Scott